Thursday, September 20, 2012

Shrinky Dinks DIY made from styrofoam meat trays





 I remember years ago when my mom would save the styrofoam meat trays and we would make shrinky dinks. Take a white meat tray and cut it in half if you would like. If you want a hole in it, punch one before you put it into the oven. With Sharpie,Crayola markers or colored pencils (not crayons) have your child color the tray. It is ok if you color on the sides, it will all flatten out in the end. preheat your oven to 300 degrees. On a piece of aluminum foil, place your colored tray and put into oven. This whole process will happen in about a minute or 2. Watch constantly! The tray will curl, l flatten out in the end. I put a quarter next to the tray in the beginning and end to show you how much it shrinks. The kids have fun watching it in the oven.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of markers did you use?

Kristen Cunningham said...

I had my kids use regular crayola markers but I think that permanent markers would give you a brighter, richer color. Thanks for looking!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea! I wonder if you can cut large shapes and have them shrink into smaller ones. I'd like to make fruit shapes to hang for a holiday. What do you think?

Kristen Cunningham said...

What an awesome idea!! I know this would work. I never tried doing it but am going to try next time I get a Styrofoam tray. Just remember to poke a small hole in top to hang. Thanks for the fantastic idea!!