Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Kristen's famous Challah recipe!



For the past 15 years, I've been making Challah that all of my friends and family rave about.  When making the bread, I add additional flour until I feel it is the right dough consistency, not sticky. I use my Kitchenaid Mixer. Add enough flour so that it doesn't stick to the bowl when being kneaded with the bread attachment. Make sense? Hope so!



Kristen's Challah Bread
5 1/2- 6 cups flour ( start out with 5 1/2 cups)
2/3 cups sugar
1 t. salt
2 packages of yeast
3 eggs - Put one aside for glaze
1/4 cup real butter
1-1/2 cups boiling water

Put water and butter into a saucepan and bring to boil. 

I use my KitchenAid Mixer. In the mixing bowl, place all dry ingredients PLUS 2 eggs. Turn on mixer to slowest speed and then slowly add boiling water/butter to dry mixture. Kneed for 5 minutes adding more flour if dough looks sticky.


Let rise for 1 hour.  Punch down to release air.
Separate into 2 balls.  Then separate each ball into 3 sections.
Roll each section into approx. 14" strands.
Put strands on greased (cooking spray) cookie sheet
Start in the middle and braid out. Do the same for other side
Let rise another hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat 1 egg an brush on top of each braided loaf
Bake 25-35 minutes or under golden brown. Enjoy! this bread is also good for French Toast!

No comments: